Alexwhore’s BAMF Guide of BAMFINESS to Effective PDF Use
1. The advanced search function is your friend. NO REALLY. In Adobe Reader, go to Edit -> search, don’t use the “find” boxy thing in the toolbar. This will save you so much fucking time.
2. There are two ways to search - just one book or all of them at the same time. If you know for a FACT which book the thing you are looking for is in, then select the “search current PDF” function and make sure to...you know have the book you need as the selected one.
If you want to search all the books at the same time, make sure all of your HP PDFs are in the same folder and that they are the only PDFs in that folder. Select “All PDF documents in...” and pick from the drop down menu thingy the folder that your PDFs are in. It will then show how many results are in each book and let you expand and collapse them.
3. The best part about using the advanced search function is that you can see exactly how many times a given word is found (aka questions like “How many times does the word ‘first’ show up in Deathly Hallows take about 20 seconds to answer) along with the fact that it allows you to see a list of the instances in a big list rather and having to press NEXT NEXT NEXT to see them all. There is a preview of the couple of words preceding and following the instance of the word so you get a general idea of the context which is INSANELY helpful.
4. Another helpful feature of the advanced search feature is that little box "whole words only" that you can check off. This means that if you search for, say, “first” it will exclude words like “firstly” or other instances where your phrase is only found in part of the word. This is crazy helpful for words like...I don’t know, cat. Or something. IDK IT COMES IN HANDY OK.
5. Also, when you are searching, make sure to use the word that will get the least amount of hits. Like...if you have to search find an instance where “Hemione was surly” and they have surly in quotes so that you know it’s the phrase used in the books, FOR THE LOVE OF MERLIN DON’T SEARCH FOR HERMIONE. Search for surly. Also keep in mind that many, many people change up the wording from the books and won’t give you exact phrases because they know how easy it is to search PDFs. It’s all about quick trial and error. Think fast on your feet and communicate with the other chasers. (Ie: Ok guys, I’m going to try looking for surly...you try sulky and you try pouty” idk lame example, but you get the idea)
6. Also, remember that you can copy and paste from a PDF. This means that you can get the answer in faster and more accurately.
7. Last but not least...ALWAYS COMMUNICATE WITH THE OTHER CHASERS AND CHECK YOUR ANSWER WITH THEM IN CHAT BEFORE SUBMITTING. Team work bbs. It’s the lube for a well oiled machine. Seriously, don’t let us get rusty, k? *kisses*
If there is anything that I missed or forgot, just let me know and I'll add it in! GO GO GRYFFINDOR! LET'S SHOW EVERYONE WHY WE ARE SURE FIRE WINNERS.♥ ♥
ETA: IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL THE PDFS (INCLUDING BEEDLE, QUIDDITCH, BEASTS & THE PREQUEL) GET THEM HEREEEE!